6 Depot Square
Montclair, NJ 07042
2 sets: 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.
$22pp online advanced purchase $20 pp at door, $12 Minimum pp
“…she stakes her claim as one of the top jazz flutists around today…
– Scott Yanow, Waxing Poetic Reviews. L.A. Jazz Scene
“… Her marvelous tone and technique are astonishing… She is definitely among those who deserves recognition not only among her peers, but the public in general.”
– Hubert Laws
Andrea Brachfeld, recent recipient of the “Best Jazz Flute “ award from Hot House Magazine, has associated with Hubert Laws, Tito Puente, Paquito D’ Rivera, Wallace Roney. Wycliffe Gordon, Dave Valentin, and Ray Barretto, among others. In June 2017 she received a grant from Chamber Music America to present a new jazz work with her quartet featuring Bill O’ Connell, Harvie S and Jason Tiemann. This work will be presented at Trumpet’s Jazz Club in Montclair , NJ on May 18th for her CD release party of the new release on Jazzheads, “If Not Now, When?”
Flutist, composer, arranger, producer, educator, business owner, Andrea Brachfeld, is a graduate of The High School of Music and Art and the Manhattan School of Music. Study with Hubert Laws, Jimmy Heath, George Coleman, and Mike Longo helped her develop her own improvisational style.
Since she began her professional career as a musician at age 16, she has recorded and played many different genres of music including funk, Country Western, Charanga, Salsa, Latin Jazz, devotional music and Jazz. Some of the many artists she has associated with include Wayne Wallace, Bobby Carcassés, Oscar Hernandez, Alfredo de la Fé, Ralph Irrizarry, Tito Puente, Ray Barretto, Joe Newman, Hubert Laws, Nestor Torres, Dave Valentín, Paquito D’Rivera, Kenwood Dennard, Hilton Ruiz, Steve Turre, Wycliffe Gordon, Wallace Roney, and Bill O’ Connell among many others.
Her breakthrough performance as the flutist for the popular Latin band Charanga ’76, catapulted her into Salsa history and fame as the first female flutist to play this music in the United States.
As a high school student, she received the “Louis Armstrong Award for Outstanding Student” from Jazz Interactions, an organization created by Joe and Rigmor Newman. Downbeat magazine referred to Andrea as “one of the finest jazz flutists around.” She has twice been the recipient of the Latin New York Music Award. She received the Chico O’Farrill Lifetime Achievement Award from Latin Jazz USA in Oct. 2006 and the “Pionero Award” in 2010 for her contribution to Latin music.She was also awarded the, “Tribute to the Charanga Flutes,” given by Charanga Legends USA, in August of 2012.
While in Venezuela, having been contracted by music impressario, Renato Capriles, she had the honor of opening for Chick Corea and Paco de Lucia with her first Latin Jazz band in 1982.
Her first Latin Jazz CD, “Remembered Dreams” combines original music with jazz harmony and Latin rhythms. Her second CD, “Back With Sweet Passion”, is a dynamic Charanga Jazz recording featuring Grammy winner Oscar Hernandez on piano and Alfredo De La Fé on violin. Her third CD “Beyond Standards”, a collaborative effort with Chembo Corniel, which features jazz greats Hilton Ruiz on piano, Steve Turre on trombone, and Pedrito Martinez on vocals. Her most recent Latin Jazz CD, “Into the World: A Musical Offering” features guest artists Mike Longo, Paul West, and Brian Lynch. Her first jazz CD named, “Lady of the Island,” was released in October of 2012 by ZOHO music featuring Wallace Roney, Wycliffe Gordon, and Bill O’Connell, longtime musical director for Dave Valentín. Bill also produced the record as well as wrote the arrangements.
She has appeared with the Winnipeg Jazz Orchestra as a soloist performing her own compositions as well as those of Mike Longo, longtime musical director for Dizzy Gillespie.
Andrea has traveled to Cuba a number of times to perform at the Havana Jazz Festival and most recently traveled to Peru to play at the International Flute Festival. She is also an integral part of the Wallace Roney,”Universe” Orchestra playing Wayne Shorter’s long lost music originally written for Miles Davis.
In September of 2015 she was awarded the title of “Best Jazz Flutist” by Hot House Magazine and has a new CD coming out on Jazzheads Records called “Lotus Blossom” in October of 2015. The featured performers on the CD include Bill O’ Connell, Rufus Reid, Winard Harper , Chembo Corniel, and special guest appearances by Wycliffe Gordon and Nancy Harms.
- “Best Jazz Flute” from Hot House Magazine 2015
- “Official Hall of Fame Artist”, Salsamagazine.com Salsa Awards 2012
- “Tribute to the Charanga Flutes”, given by Charanga Legends USA presented in August of 2012
- “Pionero” Award for my contribution in Latin Music – Mario Torres Productions
- Nominated as “Best Latin Jazz flutist” – Chip Boaz – Latin Jazz Corner
- “Tribute to Women in Salsa” – Salsation Productions, Washington DC
- “Chico O’Farrill Lifetime Achievement Award” – Latin Jazz USA
- “Latin New York Music Award” – Twice the recipient for flutist
- “Louis Armstrong Award” for Outstanding Student from Jazz Interactions
- Currently a member of the Universe Orchestra led by Wallace Roney
- First woman to receive the “Pionero” Award in November, 2010 for her contribution to Latin Music from Mario Torres Productions.
- Received the Chico O’ Farrill Lifetime Achievement Award
- First woman to play with a Charanga (Salsa) Band in the United States, Charanga ‘76
- Released, produced four Latin Jazz CD’s and one meditation and yoga CD as a leader
- Performed with Hubert Laws and David Fathead Newman – Cape May Jazz Festival
- Played the JVC Jazz Festival with the International Women in Jazz at St. Peter’s Church
- Played at Madison Square Garden with Charanga America
- Played with Conjunto Libre- Andy Gonzales, Jerry Gonzales, Manny Oquendo
- Opened for Chick Corea, Paco Lucia and Gary Burton- Caracas, Venezuela
- Guest artist with Nestor Torres, Dave Valentin, Jon Lucien
- Invited by Chucho Valdéz and Bobby Carcasses to perform at the Havana Jazz Festival
- Invited and appeared on the Bill Bogg’s Show with Karen Joseph
Bio 100 Words
Flutist Andrea Brachfeld, a graduate of The Manhattan School of Music, and recent recipient of the “Best Jazz Flute “ award from Hot House Magazine, began her musical career at 16 and has associated with Tito Puente, Ray Barretto, Hubert Laws, Nestor Torres, Dave Valentín, Paquito D’Rivera, Wycliffe Gordon and Wallace Roney, among others.
She is the first female flutist to play “Charanga” music in the United States. She has recorded seven CDs including “Lotus Blossom” featuring Bill O’Connell, Rufus Reid, Winard Harper with whom she tours, and special guests Wycliffe Gordon, Nancy Harms and Chembo Corniel, in 2015.
Bio 400 Characters
Andrea Brachfeld, recent recipient of the “Best Jazz Flute “ award from Hot House Magazine, has associated with Hubert Laws, Tito Puente, Paquito D’ Rivera, Wallace Roney. Wycliffe Gordon, Dave Valentin, Ray Barretto, Nestor Torres, and Steve Turre, among others. Her latest CD “Lotus Blossom,” was released by Jazzheads in 2015 featuring Bill O’Connell, Rufus, Reid, Winard Harper and Wycliffe Gordon.
Bio 65 Words
Flutist Andrea Brachfeld, recent recipient of the “Best Jazz Flute” award from Hot House Magazine and a graduate of the Manhattan School of Music, was the first female flutist to play “Charanga” in the United States. Her latest CD,”Lotus Blossom” was released on Jazzheads in 2015 featuring Bill O’ Connell, Rufus Reid, Winard Harper and Wycliffe Gordon. She tours and presents clinics internationally.